Do you remember your first weeks at Brunel University? The transition to University life definitely has its challenges! The Brunel Mentor Buddy Scheme was established to encourage current students to be the support that they wish they had.
About Brunel Buddies:
New students are often anxious about university and some struggle to adapt and settle in. Brunel Mentor Buddies is a mentor and support programme that aims to encourage and support new students through their first term at Brunel University. Brunel Buddies are influential students who are passionate and confident in sharing their personal and professional experience of being a new student. As a Brunel Buddy, you will guide, mentor and encourage new Brunel students to embrace their new journey so that they can achieve their full potential.
As a Brunel Mentor Buddy you will:
- Guide and support with situational queries such as where/how do I submit my assisgnments?
- Navigate and mentor new students through their course and academic life.
- Signpost students to different on-campus provisions such as Counselling, Mental Wellbeing and Careers Advice and Guidance.
- Be a friendly familiar face.
- Be proactive and committed to making a positive difference to a new students’ university experience
Be apart of Brunel’s supportive community, connect to encourage and grow, register to be a Brunel Mentor Buddy by clicking HERE
If you are a new student and would like to be matched with a Mentor Buddy, please register your interest by clicking HERE
If you would like further information on the process and how you are matched with a student, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Before the 31st of August 2023, all students must complete the online Brunel Mentor Buddies training which is now available on BrightSpace and is titled ‘Brunel Mentor Buddies’.
- You will be required to attend a Face to Face training session on Friday the 15th of September 2023 (location will be confirmed via email closer to the time). If you are unable to attend, you must inform the volunteers team at least 48 hours before the training session by emailing email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org
- On Thursday the 21st of September 2023 , you will be required to attend the fun social event where you will meet your new Brunel Mentee and this will also give you a chance to meet and socialise with your fellow mentors.
- All students will be required to sign a Brunel Mentor Volunteering Agreement Form which will be given to you during the training session.
- Embrace your role as a mentor, be supportive and have regular meet-ups and contact with your mentee(s). Don't forget to check in regularly with the volunteers team so that we can log your hours and give you some well-deserved recognition.
Recording your volunteering hours
- Buddies should provide the Brunel Volunteers team with updates on the support they have provided to their new student(s) by sumbitting a Weekly Contact Form
- You will be offered paid student ambassador opportunities.
- We will provide you with comprehensive training on how to be a good Mentor.
- You will recieve a free 'Brunel Buddies' hoodie.
- You will be invited to various free Brunel Mentor Buddies social events.
- This is a great opportunity to grow your network and socialise.
- Increase your employability skills and stand out in the job market.
- Receive volunteering hours and you could be recognised for your commitment at the annual Brunel Volunteers Award Ceremony and you will receive HEAR accreditation.
- Gain Brunel+ Points